Mount Zion Lodge No. 12
One of the regular sources of income for Lodge has been rentals. The Regent Chapter No. 52 Order of the Eastern Star and Prince Edward Chapter No. 12 currently pay $884 annually for regular use of the Lodge Room. For many years income has been derived from the rent of the Lower Hall to a number of groups and individuals. The Sunday School Alliance Church currently uses the Lower Hall for its Worship Services. During WWII the Red Cross was given free use of the space.
In 1983 the three Masonic Lodges in the Kensington area – Mount Zion, King Edward, and Prince Edward, combined to direct a Family Housing Project in Kensington for low-income families. M.W.Bro. S. Leaman Caseley PGM was chairman of the project. Construction of the three duplexes was completed in 1984. The Grand Master, M.W.Bro. Roy Leard officially opened the residences on Sunset Drive by unveiling a Plaque in the centre building on October 26, 1984. A Certificate of Appreciation from C.M.H.C. was displayed in the Lodge Room to acknowledge the dedication of Mount Zion Lodge in the Project.
Ten Brethren from Mount Zion have served as Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Prince Edward Island:
M.W.Bro. Donald Darrach (1891 1892) was honoured to lay the Corner Stone for the new Temple on Grafton Street in Charlottetown (1892). A recessed Memorial Plaque was erected on the front of the Masonic Hall in Kensington to commemorate WM.W.Bro. Darrach’s leadership in Mount Zion Lodge.
M.W.Bro. Peter Sinclair (1928-1929) presided over two Annual Communications as his predecessor was ill and unable to attend the 1928 Communication. M.W.Bro. Sinclair convened the 1929 Annual Communication in the Prince of Wales Lodge Room – the newest in the Jurisdiction.
M.W.Bro. John E. Sinclair (1931-32) was elected as Deputy Grand Master in 1931 but owing to the death of the Grand Master while in Office, M.W.Bro. Sinclair presided over the Annual Communication in 1931 and was then elected to a full term as Grand Master. The economic impact of the Great Depression on Freemasonry was especially apparent in 1931-32 as total membership declined for the first time in several decades. M.W.Bro. Sinclair was proud to confer an Honorary PGM title on W.Bro. George Wakeford PDGM in recognition of his valuable service in compiling the early history of Freemasonry on Prince Edward Island.