King Edward Lodge No. 16
King Edward Lodge was a partner in a Housing Project in 1983-84 sponsored jointly by the three Craft Lodges in the area. Under the Project three duplexes for low-income families were constructed on Sunset Drive in Kensington. The Lodges worked in cooperation with the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation. The units were opened in 1984 by M.W.Bro. M.Roy Leard, Grand Master.
In July, 1993 the Lodge voted to work jointly with the Women’s Institute in submitting a bid for the adjacent property south of the Hall. The Lodge’s share was not to exceed $5500. The bid was successful and the parties have since landscaped the property and located picnic tables. A Land Purchase Fund was established to finance the deal and on August 1, 1994 the loan was paid off.
The Brethren have not neglected the social aspects of Freemasonry. A survey of the Calendar for 1997 shows the level of activity that has helped greatly to sustain and strengthen the Lodge.
|April 25||Games Night at Sea View Hall|
|July 1||Auction Kensington Recreation|
|August 16||Fishing Trip and Barbecue|
|September 6||Family Golf and Social Evening|
|November 1||Ladies’ Night|
The Lodge has had three Grand Masters elected from its ranks:
M.W.Bro. James R. Murphy (1956-57) initiated the ‘James R. Murphy Grand Master Proficiency Certificate’. Lodges were rated using an intricate system of points for attendance at Communications, Visitations, Divine Worship, for number of Degrees conferred, outside projects etc.. Hiram and Lebanon Lodge No. 3 won the Award in 1956-57. M.W.Bro. Murphy also initiated the ‘Travelling Gavel’ in June 1981 following his visit to Israel where he attended the Silver Anniversary of the Grand Lodge of Israel as the Grand Representative of that Jurisdiction near the Grand Lodge of Prince Edward Island. The Gavel is presently displayed in the Lodge Room at Malpeque with an accompanying Register listing its ‘travels’ over the past eighteen years.
M.W.Bro. Fred R. Hickey (1975-76) was installed as Grand Master at the One Hundredth Annual Communication. During his term Airisle Lodge No. 20 surrendered its Charter on December 31, 1975.
M.W.Bro. J.Winston Cousins (1992-93) initiated a system of Cross-Visitations during the fall Visitation schedule and was pleased that an average attendance of ninety-five Brethren was achieved. M.W.Bro. Cousins was Worshipful Master when King Edward Lodge celebrated its Seventy-Fifth Anniversary in 1979.