Victoria Lodge No. 2
The Brethren of Victoria Lodge have demonstrated their loyalty to members of the Royal Family on many occasions. When the Prince of Wales visited in 1860 the Right Worshipful Master, Cuthbert C. Vaux, joined with the Worshipful Masters of St. John’s Lodge and King Hiram Lodge in presenting an Address during a public ceremony in the City. It was interesting to note that in honour of the visit, Bro. Theophilus DesBrisay, a local druggist, mounted a Union Jack at the front of his store on an old gun barrel which he had recovered from the harbour where it had fallen four years earlier. The gun barrel remained on the site at the corner of Grafton and Queen Streets for more than a century and many will remember the flower arrangements displayed in it.
Following the death of the Prince Consort in 1862 the Brethren prepared a Resolution of Sympathy and were directed “to wear mourning for a period of six weeks.” (Minutes, January 28, 1862)
On June 20, 1897 the Brethren joined with the Sons of England to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee by attending the Divine Service in the First Methodist Church. The Address was given by V.W.Bro. George M. Campbell, Past Grand Chaplain of the Grand Lodge of New Brunswick.
On February 2, 1901 the Brethren were joined by members of five other Craft Lodges for a Memorial Service for “our late Sovereign lady Queen Victoria.” Following the Service the Grand Master ordered a “Resolution of Sorrow’ to be forwarded to London.
King Edward VII died on May 6, 1910 and a Memorial Service was held at the First Methodist Church on May 20. Sixty-three Freemasons went in Grand Procession including thirty-one members of Victoria Lodge. M.W.Bro. W.P. Doull, the Grand Master, would not attend in his Official capacity because the Craft “had not been accorded their proper position in the Procession.” A Memorial was engrossed in the Minutes of July 4, 1910.
During the Royal Visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in 1939 the members of Victoria Lodge joined Brethren from other Lodges in lining the route to and from Government House.
A Lodge of Sorrow was convened on October 7, 1942 during the Visitation of the Grand Master to mourn the tragic death of HRH, the Duke of Kent.
In April 1952 the Lodge ordered a Page set aside in the Minute Book to mark the death of King George VI, “a tireless worker on behalf of the Craft.”
The tradition of holding a New Year’s Day Levee began in 1963. Following his Installation on St. John’s Day, W.Bro. J. Bertram Larkin announced that a Levee would be held at the Temple from 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. on New Year’s Day. Occasionally in the 1960’s the event was referred to as an “Open House’. In 1970 it was noted that over four hundred members and friends “called to extend greetings.” (Minutes, January 5) The Levee is currently a joint activity of the two City Lodges.