Victoria Lodge No. 2
Prior to 1875 Memorial Services were normally arranged jointly by the City Lodges. The earliest reference to a Memorial Service was on February 23, 1858 when it was resolved “that the Brethren be invited to attend the Funeral for the late Bro. William White on Thursday next at half past one o’clock.” Resolutions of Condolence were prepared by a Special Committee and forwarded to the family as well as transcribed in the Minute Book. Both City Lodges attended the funeral of Bro. John McGill on March 28, 1865 in Grand Procession and worked together on the Resolution of Condolence. The first Emergent Communication to plan for a Memorial Service was held on September 13, 1866. W.Bro. Samuel Nelson PM and Charter Member died earlier in the day and a Joint Committee of six Brethren representing the two Lodges was appointed to plan the Service for September 5. Seventy Brethren attended the Memorial Service including twenty-eight members of St. John Lodge.
In the 1920 the Lodges became concerned about low attendance at Memorial Services and a Joint Committee was formed. The importance of Memorial Services in the early years was evident in the Report of the Committee. The cost of a Masonic Costume for Memorial Services was $100 and the Report claimed that many of the older Masons had outgrown their Costume and the younger ones could not afford the cost in addition to Petition fees of $25 and annual dues of $5. The Report also noted the amount of time that business owners and their employees had to be away from their work. On May 2, 1921 the Lodge adopted recommendations that permitted Brethren to wear a cotton Apron and white gloves and non-Officers to meet the Brethren at the residence of the deceased and to leave the procession “at Mahar’s Corner as many citizens do.”
The celebration of St. Andrew’s Day (November 30) was a tradition in the Lodge and included a Dinner following the Installation of new Officers. The oldest Past Master normally acted as Installing Officer. W.Bro. John Morrison had the honour for many years. In 1861 the Lodge opted to act jointly with St. John’s Lodge in celebrating St. Andrew’s Day and St. John’s the Evangelist Day (December 27) alternately. In 1861 the two Lodges celebrated St. John’s Day together. Victoria Lodge continued to install its new Officers on November 30. The Installation on November 30, 1868 was noteworthy. The Right Worshipful Master elect was Bro. Louis H. Davies who had been raised only eleven months earlier on January 30, 1868 and had never held an Office in Lodge. Bro. Davies was a twenty-two year old attorney-at-law who later had a distinguished career in politics and law. He was knighted during the Queen’s Jubilee in 1897. The current law court complex on Water Street in Charlottetown was named in his honour. His achievement in reaching the East in only eleven months may be a record in this Jurisdiction. In 1874 the St. Andrew’s Day celebration included music, recitations, addresses and refreshments. Admission was 25¢ with refreshments “paid for by the parties who may order them.” Twelve individuals were contacted to provide entertainment and Mrs. Kennedy was requested to provide refreshments. (Minutes, November 15, 1874)