Alexandra Lodge No. 5
The first recorded Minutes are dated January 28, 1864. W.Bro. William T. Hunt of King Hiram Lodge with a Dispensation from the Deputy Grand Master, presented the Charter and installed the first slate of Officers. Several members of King Hiram Lodge accompanied Bro. Hunt on that occasion and assisted with the Installation. Bro. Hunt continued to support the Lodge in the early years through his frequent attendance. Upon his death in May 1907 the Lodge set aside a Memorial Page in its Minutes in his honour and in recognition for his “valuable services in the formation of this Lodge.”
The earliest meetings were held in the local schoolhouse. However, on August 4, 1864 a seven-member Committee headed by Bro. John Montgomery, the first Brother raised in Alexandra Lodge, was appointed “to superintend and arrange building and completion of a new lodge”. The two-storey building was to be completed “before the first day of December next.” Other Brethren on the Committee were John Maynard, Hugh Ramsay, William Ellis, Thomas Adams, John MacWilliams and Archibald MacIntosh. The building lot was purchased from D.C. Ramsay.
The new building, which is still used by the Brethren of Alexandra Lodge, was dedicated on January 3, 1865. The ceremony was presided over by W.Bro. James Campbell, Worshipful Master of King Hiram Lodge. There were eighteen visitors in attendance.
Early furnishings for the Lodge included a full set of Jewels and Collars costing £8. Those were used until 1962 when thirteen new Collars were purchased for $105.98. The Lodge Seal was acquired in 1864 for £8. The Secretary’s table was purchased in 1869 for £4. Benches, Canopy and Wardens Stands were acquired in 1875. The Altar and book case were built by Bro. H.A. Compton at the same time.
The Lodge developed a set of Bye-Laws but unfortunately the set was lost in the mail to England and a second mailing in 1866 was ordered. In his response the Grand Secretary in London described the submission as “unnecessarily diffuse.” The Bye-Laws established dues at one shilling monthly payable on or before the third night after they became due to avoid indebtedness. Sea-faring members paid half-dues during absence at sea and members who resided more than ten miles from the Lodge Room were permitted to settle their accounts annually. Clergy were exempt from dues. In 1874 the dues were lowered to $1 to attract new members.