Alexandra Lodge No. 5
W.Bro. George Lyle PM, a Summerside lawyer, outlined the details of the bequest to Alexandra Lodge on September 7, 1995. The fund of approximately $75,000 is administered by a five-member board of trustees. Each year 80% of the interest is used to provide a full-tuition scholarship for a student attending a Canadian university or college. The Lodge receives 10% for administering the fund and 10 % is reinvested.
The Lodge reached an agreement with the Western School Board in November 1998 to provide the scholarship amounting to $4000. The School Board selects the winner each year and winners who maintain an average of at least 70% may renew the scholarship for four years. The scholarship was first awarded in June 1999. W.Bro. Fred Williams PM and W.Bro. Clyde Minard PM presented the award at Three Oaks High School.
The following members of Alexandra Lodge have served as Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Prince Edward Island:
M.W. Bro. John Yeo (1875-1888) was the first Grand Master and held the position for fourteen years. During his term six new Lodges were chartered although two of those later surrendered their Charter.
M.W. Bro. William R. Ellis (1902-03) was a delegate at the 1875 meeting in Summerside leading to the formation of the Grand Lodge of Prince Edward Island. In May 1903 M.W.Bro. Ellis issued the Dispensation authorizing the Institution of King Edward Lodge No. 16 in Malpeque. Between 1869-1905 he served as Worshipful Master of Alexandra Lodge for eleven years.
M.W. Bro. G. Shelton Sharp (1940-41) first entered Grand Lodge in 1938 as Grand Senior Warden.
M.W. Bro. J.E. Stanley Maynard (1960-61) was pleased to share in the One Hundredth Anniversary celebrations of Hiram and Lebanon Lodge in 1960. M.W.Bro. Maynard’s term extended to September 1961 due to the illness of the Grand Master elect.
M.W. Bro. A. Erwin Dennis ( 1988-89) is also a 32° member of Scottish Rite Masonry. M.W.Bro. Dennis was pleased to serve as Grand Master in the year that his Mother Lodge celebrated one hundred and twenty-five years of Masonic work.
M.W.Bro. W Leigh Newcombe (2000-2001) was pleased to serve during part of the 125th Anniversary Year. The tradition of a Masonic Picnic was revived as the Brethren gathered on August 6, 2000 at Green Park.
W.Bro. R. Carmen MacNeill was called to the Celestial Lodge above in 1978 just six weeks before the Annual Communication where he was destined to be installed in the Grand East.
There are several items within the Lodge Room which honour the first Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Prince Edward Island, M.W. Bro. John Yeo. A display case in the east contains a Trowel that was donated to the Lodge by Bro. Yeo’s niece, Mrs. Lulu Birch, in 1975. The inscription with the trowel reads as follows:
Presented by the City Council of Charlottetown to The Honorable John Yeo Grand Master A.F & A.M. Masons of Prince Edward Island on his Laying the Foundation Stone of the City Building on Celebration of Her Majesty, Queen Victoria Jubilee 1st July, 1887.