Mizpah Lodge No. 17
The next Communication of Saint Andrew’s Lodge was held on July 3, 1911 but few Brethren from Eldon were in attendance. The Junior Warden’s Station was filled by Bro. J.J. Larabee. The Master Mason Degree was conferred on Bro. John F. Martin, a family physician from Eldon and a future Grand Master from Mizpah Lodge. Another Petition from seven Brethren seeking support for the new Lodge was presented. The Worshipful Master stated that he had seen the proposed Lodge Room and that it was suitable and that the three Brethren named as Wardens and Master were capable of conferring the Degrees and Opening and Closing the Lodge. It was interesting to note that the motion to recommend to Grand Lodge that the Prayer of Petition be granted was moved by M.W.Bro. Daniel F. MacDonald PGM. It was seconded by W.Bro. Horatio Nelson PM. Similar resolutions of support were forwarded to Grand Lodge from St. John’s Lodge No. 1 and Victoria Lodge No. 2 whose Jurisdiction was affected by the new Lodge.
The ultimate triumph of the Brethren of Eldon in their struggle for a Lodge was aided by the moral support of successive Grand Masters. M.W.Bro. Walter P. Doull noted in 1910 that the Island was “well supplied with Masonic Lodges except for the section from Eldon to Murray Harbour, Wood Island, High Bank, Pinette etc. It has been the desire for a number of years of some of the brethren in those sections to have a Lodge located somewhere there.” He stated that the two Lodges in Charlottetown and Saint Andrew’s in Montague could afford the loss of jurisdiction and members because they were the strongest Lodges in the Grand Jurisdiction. (Proceedings, 1910, pp. 23-24) In 1911 M.W.Bro. William Stewart expressed pleasure in advising the Grand Lodge assembled in Summerside for the Annual Communication that the matter of a Lodge “south of the Hillsborough” was “taking definite form.” (Proceedings, 1911, p 20) Under Bro. Stewart’s successor the dream became reality for the Brethren at Eldon. Five days after M.W.Bro. Hector C. MacDonald was elected Grand Master in Summerside, Saint Andrew’s Lodge convened a Special Communication and gave unanimous approval to the Petition from the Brethren of Eldon. Bro. Hector MacDonald was a native of Flat River and had served as a representative of the Belfast District in the Provincial Legislature before his appointment as a County Judge in 1899. Undoubtedly he understood the desires of the Freemasons in the Eldon area and wished to aid in their initiative.