Hiram and Lebanon Lodge No. 3
Hiram and Lebanon Lodge celebrated its Centennial in 1960. (King Hiram Lodge received its Charter in 1860) The Worshipful Master in 1960 was Bro. Edwin B. Bernard whose portrait was donated by W.Bro. J. Bruce Small in September, 1995. Various celebrations were held during October,1960. On October 9 forty-four Brethren attended Divine Worship at Trinity United Church where the sermon was delivered by the Grand Chaplain, V.W.Bro. C.R. Webber. The Masonic Choir provided two selections. M.W.Bro. Stanley Maynard and his Grand Lodge Officers held their Official Visitation on October 10. Exerpts from M.W.Bro. R.A. Gordon’s History of King Hiram Lodge and Mount Lebanon Lodge were shared by W.Bro. R.E. Ellis PM. The Annual Masonic Banquet was held on October 15 in the Legion Auditorium with Hon. Walter Shaw as guest speaker. Bro. J.H. MacLean, the Junior Warden acted as Chairman for the evening. On October 29 the 100th Anniversary Dance was held with Bro. E.W. Woodruff as Master of Ceremonies.
With a rapidly growing membership it was expected that consideration of a new Temple would arise. On November 9, 1959 a motion was approved to establish a Building Fund. Bonds in the amount of $3500 were transferred to the account. At the Regular Communication on February 13, 1961 a discussion on ways and means to raise money for the Fund generated many ideas. At a Regular Communication on September 17, 1961 a motion was adopted to buy a lot (120′ X 133′ ) on the east side of Arcona Street at the junction of Rogers Lane at a price of $1500.
The Royal Canadian Air Force Base in Summerside included a number of Freemasons among its personnel. During the 1950’s when Hiram and Lebanon Lodge was enjoying rapid growth some of the Base personnel petitioned for membership but more often the Lodge was called upon to confer Degrees as a courtesy for other Lodges or to request similar favours on behalf of candidates who were transferred out. The appropriateness of a separate Lodge for R.C.A.F. personnel was apparent. On October 15, 1962 Hiram and Lebanon Lodge completed an Examining and Consenting Certificate certifying that “this Lodge recommends the establishment of the proposed Lodge at Summerside.” The Certificate also certified that the proposed Master and Wardens were found capable of doing the work and that the proposed Master was capable to open, close and confer Degrees. Finally the Certificate stated that Hiram and Lebanon Lodge “has placed at the disposal of the proposed Lodge their Hall and Ante Rooms for the practice of Masonic Rites.” The Certificate was signed by W.Bro. G. Arthur Jones, Worshipful Master.
The Petition that was forwarded to Grand Lodge was engrossed in the Minutes of Hiram and Lebanon. It contained the names of twenty-one Freemasons including two Brothers from Hiram and Lebanon who were R.C.A.F. personnel – Bro. Wallace Gary Weese and Bro. David Allan Elder.